PFC George Lewis Wright honored with bronze marker dedication
The late P.F.C. George Lewis (G.L.) Wright was honored May 8, with a dedication of a Department of Veteran's Affairs Bronze Marker at the Campbell-Chanute Cemetery with a large contingent of family and friends present.
George Lewis (G.L.) Wright was born on June 3rd, 1934 to the late Earl and Ader Wright of the Chanute Community in Pickett County. He passed away on August 10th, 1995. G.L. is survived by his wife Thelma Wright and stepson, Wade Gregory, both of Muncie, IN; stepdaughter Teresa Gregory of Indianapolis, IN; stepson Todd Gregory and wife Denise of Brunswick, MD. He also survived by two sisters, Maxine Wright Pillar and brother-in-law Houston Pillar of Pickett County and Justine Wright Long of Augusta, GA. He is also survived by nine grandchildren, eight great grandchildren and a host of nieces and nephews.
G.L. entered the U.S. Army on Feb. 20, 1957. He served in Germany earning the rank of Private First Class. He served his country well during a very dangerous time during the Cold War and was honorably discharged on February 6th, 1959.
Lt. Col. John S. Williams (USA Retired) - boyhood friend of P.F.C. Wright, characterized him as a close friend and a great American Participating in the dedication was the Hull-York Chapter #5 of the Disabled American Veterans Honor Guard commanded by Glenn Williams. The bronze marker was dedicated by Pickett County Veteran's Service Officer Earl Claborn. Chaplain Bob Mullins presented the U.S. Flag to Amber Wilson, granddaughter of P.F.C. Wright and also gave the invocation and benediction. Hull-York Honor Guard concluded the ceremony with a 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps.